Thursday, October 20, 2011

Increasing my milk supply ...

Recently, I feel as if I can supply enough breast milk to my baby girl. She eats and eats and eats all day and doesn't leave me any milk to pump for later (I am trying to give her one bottle a day for her Vitamin D supplement and I need at least a few bottles her for when we go out on a date next weekend). I hate being stuck in this predicament and I hate the idea that my milk production just won't be enough for her and that I may have to switch to supplementing to formula. So, to try and up my supply ... I did a little research on the best ways to increase ones milk supply.

1. Rest, eat well, and drink lots of water.
If you don't rest enough or eat well, your body will be too stressed and malnourished to produce the right amount of milk your baby needs. Also, being dehydrated decreases your milk production greatly. Rest when baby sleeps, eat a varied diet, and drink nothing but water and lots of it!

2. Pump, pump, pump!
Even if you are exclusively breastfeeding and not giving even breast milk in a bottle to your baby, pump often. Pump after your baby feeds, or every 2 hours to get your supply up. I try to feed my baby on one boob and then pump the rest on the other. That way my baby is eating the perfect amount AND I also have a large amount pumped and saved for later.

3. Take a 'nursing vacation'
This surprised and intrigued me the most. Take a nursing vacation, just you and baby. Stay in bed all day and do nothing but rest and feed (and eat of course). This way your baby can be on the boob as much as possible as well as spend a whole day with mommy!

4. Try using some herbal methods.
If all of these natural methods can seem to up your production, consider using some herbal methods. Fenugreek and Mother's Milk Tea are great ways to up your supply in just a few days and can be picked up at any store like Babies R Us or Walmart.

The most important thing is giving your baby the nourishment he/she needs. If you can't supply enough to your baby, talk to your doctor about your options.

I know I will be trying every single one of these options before I even think about supplementing with formula. Let's just hope they work.

No comments:

Post a Comment